Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Story

" I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life. " 1 John 5:13

I remember the first time I encountered it-- the power of story.  I was 10 years old, and I had just seen Star Wars: A New Hope.   It was the first time I was truly transported into another realm, and something deep in my soul echoed the themes of dark and light, good and evil.  It sounds oddly melodramatic, but I must also say that was the day I knew I wanted to fight on the side of good...no matter what the cost.

Since that time long ago, I've been touched by the power of story in books, in plays and in the movies. On occasion, there are those epic stories which touch the deeper truths of our human story.  Those epics that stand out in my lifetime are Madeline L'Engle's  "A Wrinkle in Time", J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings", the "Star Wars" double trilogy, and most recently the books and movies around J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series.  Yes, I did go and see the movie tonight with our daughter.  It is almost 4 am as I write now, wide awake and again inspired by an epic story that touched on the deeper 'story' of our lives.  (I will pay for the long night, but that's fodder for another day's posting.) 

As I re-read "The Deathly Hallows" this past week, and as we saw parts 1 and 2 of movie #7, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", words from another favorite character kept running through my mind.  They are the words of Samwise Gamgee, from "The Lord of the Rings- The Two Towers".  After a brutally difficult experience where Frodo is ready to give up, Sam encourages Frodo by talking about the powerful stories in their lives. 

Sam says,  "Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, but they didn't. they kept going because they were holding onto something." 
"What are we holding onto Sam?" Frodo asks.
Sam responds   "That there's some good in this world Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

The stories of our lives,  and the stories we share as a people, are important.  They keep us going when we're ready to turn back, give up, and give in.  I believe stories are important for more than the box-office value or the entertainment value.  These stories, both great and small,  touch us and connect us to the Greatest Story-- the Love story of a creating, redeeming and sustaining God who risks what is most precious for the sake of the lost, the hurting and the broken. 

One of the terrible lies of Chronic illness is the lie trying to convince us our physical or mental illness means  we no longer have a place in the story-- that somehow our part has ended; our part of the story no longer matters.  In fact, the opposite is true.  You and I are on the front-lines of the story, encountering the depths and challenges of the wilderness in technicolor every day.  Your story matters, and how you live out your story matters, not just to you, but to all of us. 

We have the ability to be a beacon of light for others every time we keep going.  Every time we get up after falling (literally and figuratively) the courage it takes to do such a brave act makes a difference...others see it.  We will have the most difficulty seeing how our story impacts others, but just look around.  We are encouraged when someone else digs deep into their spirit and fights for good and rejects the forces of evil. I believe this is not just some 'fairy-tale' language, but it is language woven from the very fabric of our existence.  And every once in a while, a great epic story-teller reminds me of this fabulous truth.

The writer of 1 John knew the power of story, and the power of God working in The Story.  Today, may we remember we are tied to a bigger story, and the decisions we make, the words we say, and the actions we take all make a difference for good or for ill.  What part will you choose to live out in the story today?

God of Story, you remind us through the gift of the arts and literature of our greater connection to humanity and to you.  Empower, encourage and enlighten us today to see our connection to the greater history of humanity, and help us to choose well and wisely.  Amen.

6 comments:

Andrea Starn said...

From my friend Marie~

I would venture to say from watching so many friends' and family and church members' experiences (including reading your blog), and from Joe's disability and my own "inner wheelchair" issues, that when the struggle becomes the hardest - when life throws you a curve that doesn't promise to straighten (ever), our life stories can go from pleasant-viewing to omnimax, from 2D to 3D (that's whether want we want them to or not). It would, of course, depend on many variables, like personality, age, support, faith, diagnosis.... but I have seen where "opposites" become more pronounced - life becomes more difficult, humbling, and even terrible - and yet also has the potential to bring clarity of focus and perspective, an opportunity to go "reeeaaalll deep" - and Joe would add the word liberating on a level or two. Zach's story, though, of his last 3 years with the illness he shares with you, Andrea, means mightly struggles for him right now, and I believe he may feel the story he was writing for himself got jammed behind the knees, buckling everything he knew to the floor. Why do some stories have to change plots so severely? Who knows... I guess for all of us it comes down to grabbing onto God's hand one day at a time and asking Him what's in store. Some days it'll be to rest, other days it will be to move. Thanks, Andrea, for helping us see your story, and all its varied "new" colors - colors of angst, colors of peace - for we can all relate to some degree. Much love!!..

Andrea Starn said...

Hi Everyone,
Being relatively new to blogging this year, I've learned that the settings I used to set up the blog have made it difficult for people to post comments. I've recently changed that, and you should find the whole process MUCH, much simpler! If you've tried to post before, and weren't able to, I'd invite you to try again. If you have no other accounts, like Google, etc, you should be able to post as anonymous.
If you can click the "email follow-up comments to aljprmips@gmail.com" button, that will alert me to comments on the blog and will help immensely in my being able to respond to you.
Thanks for your patience, and THANK YOU so much for reading and following this blog!
I am humbled and grateful for the community that has formed here, and pray that you may share it with others, and that it may continue to grow and help people facing long-term illnesses.
peace-
Andrea

Andrea Starn said...

Marie, Thank you for your powerful comments. I appreciate the comment that life can throw you a curve that doesn't promise to straighten (ever), our life stories can go from pleasant-viewing to omnimax, from 2D to 3D, whether we want them to or not.
I would venture to say that this is part of the human experience. A good friend of mine has shared with her teen-age daughter (who has faced really difficult parts of a past she had no control of as an infant) that "No one gets off this planet without facing real pain." It comes in different forms, and has different causes. Using the Harry Potter story, Harry's parents were murdered when he was a baby, and the events that unfolded were never what he would have asked for.
The powerful part,for me, of the Harry Potter story, and other powerful stories, both fiction and real is HOW we respond to the curves.
J.K. Rowling masterfully shows us how similar Harry and Tom Riddle's past experiences were, and yet how their choices made all the difference in the world. Hallows or Horcruxes?

I think/hope/pray, that by sharing OUR stories within THE STORY of life, we can encourage and support one another in life-giving, healing, couragous choices that help others in making choices that will be for the work of good and not evil.

I'd LOVE to hear more comments from everyone (now that I've made commenting easier! LOL)

Marie- Bless you, Joe and Zach and your whole family as you make courageous, faith-led choices in the story of your lives. (((HUGS)))
Andrea

Anonymous said...

This post is impressive! I¡¯m gonna put this in the bookmarks before I lose the link I don¡¯t believe I¡¯ll ever find my way back here again otherwise

Andrea Starn said...

Hi Anonymous~ thanks for posting, and for reading this blog! Yes, I do hope you find your way back here again, and I would invite you to share this with anyone you know who is facing long-term physical or mental illness. This is a blog that seeks to speak to the needs of those with chronic illness, and to those who love people with long term illnesses.
I hope you can find this a supportive, inspiring place~
peace,
Andrea

Marie Kovitch said...

A, re your comments about Harry Potter:

My favorite line from Order of the Phoenix is Dumbledore's to Harry as he is being tortured by Voldemort in his mind:

Harry... It's not how you are alike. It's how you are not...