Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day of Prayer

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:6-7 NIV

In this wilderness of chronic illness, prayer is a common companion. Lack of prayer is also a common companion. There are times when I find that I pray fervently, and times when it is a challenge for prayer to pass my lips.  Both responses are part of the reality of this territory, I believe.

On any given day we may find ourselves highly focused upon our own health issues, or we may find that we've had some relief from them and are having a day where we can focus outside of ourselves. Lately, my experience has been the former, not the latter.  We have times where the concerns of our own bodies, minds and spirits are in the forefront-- perhaps no more than people without chronic illness-- but I notice that with chronic illness, self-focus is a daily response to my own health situation, and it needs to be.

As I've been pondering this week (or rather, having a hard time pondering anything but my own aches, lightheadedness and ailments) news of drought and famine in the Horn of Africa has broken through my thoughts.  I've been aware of the situation for a while, as our denomination has been active in drought prevention and refugee relief for some time there, but it seems that the heart-breaking concerns of the people of East Africa are becoming widely known now.

It seems to me that those of us who live with chronic mental or physical illnesses have a unique perspective and gift to bring on behalf of others who are facing suffering. I'm not saying that I know anything of what it is to have to carry your child 100 miles in order to find food, or that I understand the level of desperation that millions of people are facing as they weigh life and death decisions each day.  I will say, however, that as I've journey this path of struggle and pain, compassion has broken open in me for others in a way it has never been there before. 

And so this morning I wrestle, focused upon my own challenges this morning, and also as my heart is touched by the needs of others.  It strikes me that, just as the Sunday scripture and music devotion on this blog has helped meet a need for some, that perhaps a day where we focus prayer on the needs of others may be healthy for our spiritual growth on this journey.  I want to try a day of prayer each week that focuses upon something other than chronic illness. Many, if not all of you probably already have a prayer focus like this.  If you have a request for a global or national prayer need for a week, please email me at aljprmips@gmail.com

I am also very open to your comments and suggestions on this idea of a day of outward focused prayer, and invite you to comment or email as well. 

Holy and Gracious God, even as we struggle with our own ailments and demons today, we see the struggle of the world around us. We pray that you would bring relief and comfort to those in the Horn of Africa that are hungry, grieving, fearful, exhausted, and feeling helpless and hopeless.  Help us to reach out as we are able to be your hands and feet in that part of the world.  We thank you for relief workers and missionaries already on the ground and pray that you would uphold them in the face of daunting circumstances. May your light and life-giving Spirit be at work in that part of the world.  Amen.

No comments: