Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

When to say When

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own?"  1 Corinthians 6:19  NRSV


Yesterday a friend shared with me a frequent saying of one of his favorite mentors and leaders.  This high ranking official, even during high-ranking meetings, at 4:00 would dismiss himself and his staff for the day.  When confronted on this his response was "It's happy hour, and you're not making me happy."   

I laughed hard when I first heard this, and realized there was a great deal of wisdom in this leader's actions.  Now, despite the title and the bible verse and this story, the focus of today's blog is not on T-totaling or alcohol consumption in any way.   Many of us facing chronic illness, due to medications or to our condition, have to abstain from alcohol, so that's not really the issue.

The issue is limits.  This leader was paying attention to the limits his body and mind had for sitting through endless meetings, or for over-working.  I am amused that I'm even blogging about this, as the area of taking care of our bodies and putting healthy limits around us is something I must confess I'm pretty terrible at.

But the powerful scripture is clear.  Because we are the dwelling place of God's Holy Spirit-- the very breath of God-- we are called to take care of the 'building'  (our bodies).  Whether that means eating a clean diet free from the sugar, or gluten, or allergens or alcohol that causes damage to our system, or that means we are to exercies as our doctor sees fit, or setting limits on our time so we can rest, it is clear that we are to have responsibility -- to the best of our ability -- to care for our bodies, not just for our sake, but for the sake of others, and for the sake of faith.

This devotion is a difficult one for me to hear today, as the past several days I've pushed through the day because there were things that needed to get done, even though my body was really struggling. I suspect many of you know what that feels like- when even something that used to be easy becomes a huge chore. For me that is grocery shopping-  I usually enjoy it, but when I'm very symptomatic, it is a struggle to even get partway through the trip.

What does it mean to care for my body as the temple of the Holy Spirit?  In part, I think it means paying attention to the cues of pain, nausea, lightheadedness or anxiety that my body is giving.   As I said in the intro to this blog, our society is used to taking very little time being sick, and usually push through whatever we are feeling.  I can no longer do that successfully for any period of time. So that means the ripe peaches and tomatoes on the counter will have to wait a bit longer (instead of my freezing or canning them today, which I'd love to do).  The clutter on the table can wait- or I can take it a few minutes at a time to clean it off.

Ultimately, knowing when to say when is about respecting the 'temple' that we are, and being faithful in caring for it respectfully, lovingly, and gently so that God's Spirit can work most powerfully through us.  It isn't about enduring more difficulties, but rather surrendering ourselves more to God's care, trusting that when we give up having to 'do' more God actually works more fully in us.

Peace to you today as you look at your own limits, and as you care for the magnificent 'temple' that you have been made to be.

Holy God, it is difficult for many of us to go against what society has taught us about pushing through pain, and overworking ourselves.  Give us another vision about caring for this body that you've given us, and help us glorify you in the process of setting and keeping healthy limits.  Amen.


3 comments:

R.K. Tran said...

I struggle with this on several levels all the time. When I am fatigued, or the IBS kicks in, or the pain in my ribs and back cause me to have to lay down I feel like less of a person. Sometimes well meaning but misguided family members will tell me I just need to get out of bed and "fight" this. I have tried that...and all it leads to is more fatigue, nausea, and anxiety. Yet, I still feel "less" than what I wish I was.
I am very bad at certain aspects of taking care of myself. I smoke and I make very bad choices when it comes to food. I am borderline diabetic. Even with all the knowledge I have concerning both of these things, I struggle and wrestle with them daily, hourly, and by the minute.
After accupuncture for the smoking and countless diet programs, here I sit, no better off. I am beginning to realize that I can not change these habits alone. The harder I try, the worse they become.
So when I hear that verse, I feel so bad. I know what I should be doing, but I also know that I can't do them. It causes me great sorrow to know that I am ruining my own body.
Where to go from here? I'm just not sure. Anyone have any helpful ideas to share?
Andrea, I just want to thank you for sharing, I always feel uplifted when I read your posts.
Renee

Andrea Starn said...

Hi Renee,
Thank you for reading,and for your honesty in sharing.
I understand the urge to feel badly about not living up to the scripture verse, but I want to suggest that allowing ourselves to get beat up for not living up to it is not the most helpful approach.
Romans 3:22-24 comes immediately to mind "For there is no distinction,since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God; they are now justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus." And Romans 5:3 "God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ Jesus did for us." (can you tell these two passages are near and dear to my heart...and that I've had to hear them over and over again so they could break into my heart and thoughts? :-)

The reminder of being a temple is to gently, lovingly remind you and me and all of us, that we are precious and God has given us a powerful role.

AS to finding help with smoking and weight, than you for the courage to share this...I'm sure it was difficult...
I need to share that I've had weight issues for decades,and they certainly haven't gotten any less complex as I'm facing this long term illness. However, I've recently gotten very honest with my doctor in that I need support and help to lose the weight and be healthier.

That was a difficult thing for me to have to ask for help with, you know? I'm an inteligent woman, and people lose weight all the time. Well, common dieting rituals are rough and counter-productive in the long-run for healthy bodies...I have too many variables stacked against losing weight well, and need help.

I would suggest you consider a heart to heart with your doctor (not to shame you or feel guilty) but to help you take one postitve step in correcting some habits that had real reasons for starting. If your doctor isn't able to give you a pro-active, hand's on approach, and seems t only give general ideas or guilt, then I would suggest you check into someone else who can help.

This journey is just...plain...hard, and some of the steps we need to take are more difficult than others.

thank you again for reaing and for responding. Peace and blessing to you,
Andrea

R.K. Tran said...

Thank you Andrea. Good advice all around that I will take to heart.