Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Part of something bigger than ourselves

Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself

~ Ephesians 2:20, NLT


I've always loved this house imagery from Ephesians.  Perhaps because when I was in Confirmation classes we were to read the book of Ephesians and then somehow explain what each chapter meant. I was so excited that I could actually read and understand this image. Jesus was the cornerstone, the powerful anchor of the building--true and vital, and the piece that set all the others in proper place. 

What a powerful image that we were placed upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, all the wisdom and courage of those who went before us makes the house solid and enduring. The stories of the prophets are often about those who looked like failures in the world, but they spoke God's truth--an enduring and powerful truth.

How humbling it is for me to realize that we are parts of this house, and how we speak God's truth now makes a difference for those who are around us, and those who will come after us.  Some days I feel like a brick --not moving, and pretty dense (LOL  :-), but within this chronic illness time I'm more likely to doubt my value as a building block in this house.  What can I do, after all, with this body that gets so weak and lightheaded when I"m upright, or with this heart that experiences pains as the heat gets higher?  Who would possibly build something out of material like me?

And yet, here's one of the things I often forget, many, many materials become more valuable under pressure or high heat:  sand becomes glass, coal becomes diamonds, certain rocks become granite, and silver and gold are purified. The lies of pain and illness would have me believe otherwise, but difficulties of today and the pain of chronic illness are working on my heart and spirit to make an even more powerful and valuable me.

You and I and all those facing long-term struggles have a very valuable gift to offer the rest of the 'house' of faith, and while those gifts differ because of our composite and our tempering, we have valuable gifts to offer nonetheless.  God is wise in building the house of faith, and including you and I in the building is no mistake.

Wise God, today help us to see and appreciate the place you have put us as you build.  Help those who are feeling lost, or who are hurting today to have good courage, and strength to face this day.  Help those who understand the struggles of life to reach out and embrace and encourage those who are hurting. Amen.

No comments: