Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Monday, June 6, 2011

Think on these things...

"Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about- these things."   ~  Philippians 4:20  NRSV

Over the past week, as the weather has turned significantly more hot and humid in this part of the country, I have found my crankiness factor (CF) rising.  (Heat index + increase = Andrea's CF x10 ) 
The Crankiness Factor is NOT scientific in any way, and completely and utterly subjective.  Any of a variety of variables can affect one's CF, and it is different for each person. 

While I'm being playful in talking about the CF, I must say that it is a real thing for many people. In my experience, people fighting long-term mental and physical health issues often have a much greater tolerance for variables before their CF goes up. Perhaps that is due to the large number of daily variables that we have to face that would make healthy people cranky in no time at all.  So, while my CF is usually pretty even keel, there are circumstances --usually over an extended period of time-- that make my CF rise, and when that happens folks, it's not pretty...

I start seeing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING as a nuisance and a problem. Nothing seems to be right, and every little thing begins to tick me off...  and I'm not great to be around.  I don't even like being around me when my Crankiness Factor is high. 

So this morning, as I look at the weather, I see that we're scheduled for yet another day of near 90 degree temps and high humidity.  Now, for some of you, that would be a relief, as cold weather raises your CF.  However, heat and humidity make it much harder for my whole system to work, causes exponentially greater fatigue and chest pain, and is generally more difficult for me to do simple functions. 

Seeing the forecast, I decided to get some baking done while the day is cool.  Having Celiac's, I have learned that is is important for me to do much of my own baking, but I don't always have the energy to do it.
As I was measuring the ingredients for Gluten-free muffins this morning, I was reminded of how much I enjoyed baking and cooking.  Just the process of mixing fresh, healthy ingredients, and anticipating good smells in the house helped decrease my crankiness factor quite a bit, and I realized that one of the things that I lose when my CF starts going up, is the ability to enjoy and participate in things I really like. 

It's a catch 22-  doing things I enjoy helps make me more resilent against the crankiness, but the crankiness and long-term health issues make it more difficult to do things I enjoy.  One of the vital "tools" that it is important for people with long-term illness to develop is the ability to plan ahead for difficult times, even while we're having a good day.  We need a reserve of ideas and plans ready to go so that when we're having a particularly difficult day or week, we have something to keep us going.  When my fatigue, pain and frustration is high the last thing I want to do is any little bit more exertion-- so having pre-prepared plans and lists of possibilities helps a great deal.

It is work, but it is also what St. Paul is talking about.  Whatever is good, whatever is pleasing, think on these things.  He is speaking from a spiritual aspect, and I believe it works on spiritual, mental and physical levels. 
What are the good, pleasing things that you are able to do for yourself or for others that you enjoy and can give you energy to keep going?  Right now, name 5 things...

For me 5 pleasing, good things that keep me going are:

baking healthy foods
reading a book in the hammock
playing with, or just petting our dogs
reading stories to our kids
meditating

(Now if you're like me, and you skipped ahead to see what I wrote, but didn't put down 5 things, please name 5 things YOU enjoy and that give you energy to keep going :-)  it will be a useful thing...really~)

After naming those things, what things can you do on a good day to prepare and set up those enjoyable parts of your life so that you take as little energy as possible to do them on a bad day?

One idea that came to mind for me is to put together ingredients for my favorite or necessary foods and separate them out into a bag and freeze them- (Not eggs, though)    Or to bake GF foods on good days so I have good, healthy foods for me to enjoy when I don't have the energy to make them.

I could put a basket of favorite books by the bed where the kids and I read, or by the back door, and make sure the hammock is up ahead of time, or set out my exercise clothes and bag so that it makes it easier to do the exercises that will make me feel better; or to be sure to meditate on the good days, so that when a rough day comes, my practice kicks in and it is easier to concentrate and get beneficial results.

You get the picture.  What can you do to prepare for a bad day?  If today is a rough day, be gentle on yourself and choose to do one thing you enjoy that will encourage you if you can.  If today is a good day, what can you do to prepare, and then let us think on these things...not the heat, or humidity, or the aches and pains. 

Dear Lord, chronic illness can be a long haul. Fatigue and discouragement can easily set in.  Help us today to turn our minds to those things we enjoy in this life you've given us, and the things that encourage us to keep going.  Encourage and inspire us Lord.  Amen.

No comments: