Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Called upon to pray

"Pray without ceasing."  1 Thessalonians 5:17

As pictures from the tornado ravaged city of Joplin, MO come pouring in, the needs of that community are staggering.  Already there are more people who have died in this single storm than in any tornado in 50 years and the death toll is rising. Places of safety, homes and even a hospital are horribly damaged, and many homes no longer exist. 

The needs will continue. Rescue workers and relief workers are facing very difficult jobs, and the aftermath of this much needed service to their community will have an extended cost for some in the form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

My heart is with the people of Joplin today, and while my training and my wish would be to be on the ground volunteering and debriefing rescue workers, my body will not allow such a thing.  As people with chronic illnesses, in the face of such tragedy, we may wonder what could we possibly do?

Pray, folks, pray.  Do not underestimate the power of yourself, or of this group as we come before God asking for help on behalf of the people of Joplin.  As it says in James 5:16 "The prayer of the righteous is powerful and effective. "  I know that if I were reading this, I would catch that phrase and say, "well I know I"m not righteous."    That is right. On my own, I am not righteous, but because of Jesus' righteousness and mercy, I am made righteous in the sight of God.  Jesus' own righteousness covers you and me.

Pray, therefore.  Even if we're in a physically or mentally difficult day, please pray for Joplin:  its people, those who mourn, those injured, those who are responding to others' needs. 

We have a powerful task ahead of us. We are needed right now, right here.  We are each needed to pray. 
Let us make today a day of action. Let us together make today a day of prayer.

Dear Lord, hear the cries of your people. Hear the prayers of  those who call upon you. Give strength to the weary, comfort to those who mourn, and power to the powerless. Be with all in need today, gracious God, and empower the people on this blog to be powerful people of prayer.  Amen.

No comments: