Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Getting back up

My apologies for just posting a song yesterday with no intro and no explanation.  I had planned to come back after posting it, to say more, but had sick kids and other things to attend to and didn't get back here.
As it worked out, it struck me that perhaps it was a good thing for that song to be out there without any preamble from me, so that you could let it speak to you as it would.

For me, that Toby Mack song always seems to come on the radio on the days I'm feeling lost and tired in this territory of Chronic illness.  In many ways, this territory is similar to the transition territory that I'd work with in congregations (but I'll expand on THAT piece in a series of blog articles coming up).  As an interim pastor, I learned early on that everyone has times they feel like they've fallen "off the horse" ...or been thrown from it. In chronic illness that may be a sudden unexpected diagnosis, a relapse, or the accumulation of days or weeks of the fatigue and stress of daily life.  
Whether in transitions or in health, we always have a choice.  We can lay there once we've been thrown, or we can get up.  That sounds simple, doesn't it?  It is not.  Getting up takes courage. Getting up can mean trying something new; it can mean starting the next day fresh even if we don't have new ideas; it can mean choosing to approach life with an attitude of curiousity and vigor even if our bodies don't follow well.  It doesn't automatically mean trying every new cure or fighting beyond what our hearts and spirits say is the right path, in fact, "getting back on the horse" for some may mean NOT exploring a new-fangled wellness approach...or it may mean stopping the chemo to live the remaining days to the best one can.

What does it mean to you today to "get back up again"?   For me, today, it means recommitting to the things I know have proven to make me feel better, and be persistant with them. 

I could speak to a lot of the phrases in the song, but I'd like to hear if something touched your heart or spirit. When you feel exhausted and perhaps even lost, what do you need to hear?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and comments.  And I will be back tomorrow morning...writing again :-)
peace,
Andrea

No comments: