Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Saturday, May 21, 2011

What if...?

"Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour."  Matthew 25:13 NRSV

When asked what he'd do if he knew if the end of the world was coming in an hour, Martin Luther is reported to have replied "Plant a tree".  I suspect Luther, being a wise student of scripture remembered Jesus' words, that no one but God alone knows the ending of time.

 In our area of the country/world, there is news making its way around that there are some who believe the end of the world is coming tonight.  I happen to stand with Luther in the belief that humans do not know the ending of time.  After all, God created time, and God is the one alone who has the ability to complete time, so I really don't spend much of my 'time' :-D  thinking of the ending. 

But all this hullabaloo got me thinking...what if?    What if today WAS my last day?  What would I do? 
I think this question can be a very helpful one in clarifying our values and what is important in our lives.  It cleans out the 'stuff' that isn't going to really matter.  So, here's what I've done so far... I made a batch of gluten-free muffins and a pot of decaf coffee, I've decided to write on this blog, I've made a conscious effort to speak kindly and lovingly to my kids and spouse, I've patted the dogs a bit more than usual :-) , and I'm planning to take my meds and then get ready to cheer my son on in his pinewood derby championship race.  Later, since the sun is shining, I will put up the hammock and relax on this warm spring day.  I've also spent much of this day, and plan to even more, in conversation with God (prayer). 

I'm not choosing to stop my meds, or stop paying my bills... if the end comes, it will just take care of that.  But I am trying to choose even more than usual to spend what time I have in ways that are important to me, and with people that are important to me...like you all.

It also strikes me that folks with Chronic illnesses probably have a leg-up on the average population when it comes to living life to the fullest every day.  It may not seem like it because of the very real limitations we face due to physical and mental health issues, but it is my belief that our experiences already act like a strainer to limit us to using our energy for the things that really matter in our lives.  True, sometimes, we cannot participate in things we really want to because of our limits, but I believe that when it comes to knowing life each day is precious, we know that down to our bones.

I also would hazard to guess that many if not most of us at some point in this journey have had our own mortality smack us in the face.  We've had to come to the very real understanding that our own time does come to an end. I know I've had to...more than once. At times, in the midst of our worst struggles, the promise that this will end may come as a sweet relief, and we would welcome it. Or we may fight against the end, with the hopes that we may feel better in this life.

 While I don't dwell in it, I also know that facing my mortality has shaped decisions I've made, and it has helped me to appreciate each day, and the people in it quite a bit more.  The sunshine and the fresh muffins seem a bit sweeter today, and the smiles on the people I love are even more poignant this day...

So...what if the world ended today? What would you do?  How would you prepare your heart and mind, and how would you LIVE today?  Go and enjoy this day...and every day that we get as a gift.

Dear God,  thank you for this day.  Every day you give us is a gift.  As people who wrestle with illness, we are well aware that this life will end.  Give comfort to those in pain and struggle today, give hope to those who are feeling despair, and stir in all of us gratitude for the beauty and grace that you touch us with each day of our lives.  Amen.

No comments: