Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Monday, May 30, 2011

Remembered

"I thank my God every time I remember you" Philippians 1:3

One of the challenging parts I've found in this 'chronic illness territory' is the sense of being forgotten.  As illness wears on for months and years, it is understandable to me that, while I continue to deal with the difficulties of illness every day, those around me don't really understand what it is like to wrestle with physical, mental and spiritual issues every single day.  How could they?  I didn't understand until I was in the middle of it, and even then, I try to deny what I'm facing just to keep going forward.

Knowing how very important it has been to have my struggle and challenges remembered by people I know and love, I want to take the opportunity today to lift up and remember people that I may not know personally, but for whom I own a huge debt of gratitude:  our men and women of the military and their families.  As my husband and I have people in both of our families who were killed in wartime, or who have departed this life, today is a poigniant day of remembering...the grandfather who was never met; the father whose presence is missed; and many more who have made sacrifices for God and country. 

As I've had the great privilege to become friends with individuals who have and are serving our country, one thing has struck me over and over...the willingness to make sacrifices for the sake of others-- whether it is their own country, or a nation of people seeking freedom for whom they serve as trainers and supporters of their right to live freely.  I am touched by the commitment to something greater than themselves, and the willingness to pledge, as the signers of the Declaration of Independence, "our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor." 

Today I remember that the ability for me to write this blog and quote scripture and speak of God freely comes at a high price-- the lives and sacrifices of generations of people.  Today I remember that our ability to choose whether to attend the Memorial Day Parade or to hit the malls and home improvement stores has come at the cost of many families.  Today I remember that the ability to speak out for or against the governement of the United States has come at the cost of limbs, and souls and minds. 

One of the amazing and humbling aspects of writing this blog is that I do not know who God will touch with these words.  However, I want to take the opportunity today to thank every family who has made the sacrifice of their time and future in service of our country, I want to thank everyone who served and risked health of body and mind for others, and I want to thank God for all those who gave their lives.  On behalf of a grateful nation, today I want to tell you  that you are remembered. Your sacrifices are not forgotten, even if we don't have words to explain or express our gratitude.  To all those who live with the after-effects of service, please know that we stand with you, and you will not be forgotten.

Dear Lord, help us remember and give thanks for the sacrifices our servicemen and service women and their families have made for this country.  Today help us support and embrace those who may feel forgotten, and help us reach out and embrace them every day.  Amen.

No comments: