Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fighting the lies -- "nobody understands"

"Long enough, God— you've ignored me long enough.
   I've looked at the back of your head
      long enough. Long enough
   I've carried this ton of trouble,
      lived with a stomach full of pain.
   Long enough my arrogant enemies
      have looked down their noses at me.

   Take a good look at me, God, my God;
      I want to look life in the eye,
   So no enemy can get the best of me
      or laugh when I fall on my face.

    I've thrown myself headlong into your arms—
      I'm celebrating your rescue.
   I'm singing at the top of my lungs,
      I'm so full of answered prayers. "  Psalm 13, The Message



Yesterday I corresponded with someone who has been an important and powerful friend in my life. He had been sick for the past month, and I'd lost contact with him before that, so there was much to catch up on.  I shared some things I felt were important.  This person is a mentor of mine, and has always been a really good listener, so I was surprised when I received a note back that seemed to be joking about what I said.   I was in a place of struggle and not feeling well, and certainly not in any kind of a playful mood.   I found myself going down that road of "he doesn't understand either."

Now because of the history of our friendship, when I backed away from the hurt, I realized I was walking into the conversation with a certain attitude, and when he didn't show that same attitude, I jumped to "he doesn't care what I'm facing--and doesn't want to understand." 

I think this is a defense mechanism that I move into when I'm physically feeling poorly, or I'm mentally drained and don't want to explain to yet another person all the of the complexities of the illness.   It is an understandable feeling, but not often helpful.  Yes, there are times when people don't understand what we're experiencing.  How many doctors have we seen who weren't sure what we were experiencing?  How often do we not know what exactly we're facing?  There are also times when I don't share with others the extent of what I'm facing because I don't want to burden them with the sometimes overwhelming details of daily life.  Of course there are times when others don't know what we're experiencing, for a variety of reasons, BUT that doesn't mean they don't want to know, or the bigger lie... that they don't care about us.

There are times when our conditions, whether physical or mental pain, can make us believe the lies that no one understands, or that no one wants to understand...not even God.  It is not true.  There are people who do want to understand and do care, even if at the present time we may not be experiencing that care.  And above all, God does care deeply.  God does understand. As the Psalm speaks, the psalm writer is launching himself into God's arms-- frustrated and in pain, and yet trusting whole-heartedly that he will be caught. The Psalm ends with the writer praising God fully. 

Before we can even speak, God meets us with open arms, understanding and love.  The next time we feel the lie that no one understands, let's launch ourselves into the waiting arms of the Lord who made us, and who is with us each day.

Dear Lord,  in our own confusion and hurt, we sometimes believe the lie that no one understands. Surround us with loving people who can reassure us that they do care and want to know what we're experiencing, and help us to remember that you always understand no matter how complex.  Amen.

No comments: