Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Be Still

“Be still and know that I am God.”  Psalm 46:10

As I wake this morning, I find it difficult to move.  The aches, pains and symptoms are very near today.  What do you experience on your rough days?

There are things I’d like to do… there are things I want to do…things I NEED to do today.  That is all trumped by the symptoms.  Today is a day where I will have to buckle down and move into dealing with the symptoms.  Are there symptoms that are mysterious and beyond my control right now? Yes. Did I contribute to some of the symptoms?  Probably.  Does that change what I have to do today?  Not at all.

Over all the pain, the lightheadedness, the frustration and feelings of lack of control come the words of the Psalm “Be still and know I am God.”  Be still. Be. Still.  Exactly what I need to do today—be still, rest. 

Being still has always been difficult for me. I’m used to moving, doing, and being active. Being still –especially when I’m unable to do otherwise—often raises questions like “what am I good for?”   Over the past three years of being knocked flat on my back at times by POTS, I’ve had to wrestle with this question a lot.  For people fighting chronic illness, and often unable to do things we used to take for granted, the question of ‘doing’ can be a difficult one.

To this question God’s word speaks to us—“Be still.”  We hear the permission to “be” even if we are unable to “do”.  But there’s also more to this verse “Be still…and know I am God.”  We have the ability, the freedom, the GIFT of being able to be still, because our value doesn’t depend on what we do, but it depends upon God.  As the words of the Casting Crowns’ song “Voice of Truth” says so beautifully, we are precious to God not because of what we’ve done, but because of who God is , not because of who we are, but because of what God’s done  (my paraphrase). 

We are free to be still because God is God and we are not.  We are not made to always be ‘doing’. 

I don’t know what you are experiencing today, whether you are feeling strong and active or experiencing a lot of symptoms and moving slowly.  No matter what you encounter today…hear the promise of rest and care in the words of the Psalm “Be still and know that I am God.” 

Holy, amazing God, Thank you for being You. That is more than enough to allow me to face this day- no matter what it brings. Help me to be still and rest in your care and grace.  Amen.

3 comments:

Andrea Starn said...

I'd love to hear what you are experiencing today. What are you dealing with today? You can post, or you can email me at aljprmips@gmail.com. Thanks for reading and for sharing this blog with others!
Andrea

Unknown said...

This just be still thing I haven't gotten a hold of yet. Before my stroke I was busy all the time. I was on a plane one or two times a month and I liked it. When I had my stroke and I had to retire I was angry with God. I still don't know sometimes what my stroke was for, but I do know that God is there every day in every way.

Andrea Starn said...

Lisa~ What you raise is very important. Sometimes we're forced to be still against our will, and it is a huge loss from the life we are used to. Thank you for reading, and for sharing your thoughts~ they are an important contribution to this conversation.
~Andrea