Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Sunday, March 27, 2011

A time to celebrate

“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance”  Ecclesiastes 3:1-4  NRSV

I’ve always been sentimental.  Holiday celebrations, anniversaries, and birthday parties have always been important to me.  Over the past 3 years they have become even more meaningful.

This weekend we have had the privilege of having birthday celebrations for our 10 year old son, and it started me reflecting on celebrations and long term illness.  Nowadays, any kind of celebration takes more energy than it used to…and it is absolutely worth it!  In the past three years I haven’t always been able to celebrate important holidays and events as I’d like to. Just since November, I’ve missed traveling to see family in other parts of the state and out of state.  I spent Christmas in the hospital this year, and got out just in time to celebrate our daughter’s 14th birthday…from the couch.

These months have helped developed a new and precious understanding and gratitude that we have something to celebrate.  As difficult as days may be, I have a deeper and abiding awareness that the loved ones in my life may just as easily not be here to celebrate with.  Oddly enough, the more physically painful my life has become, the more grateful I am to still be alive.

So, today, while I’m exhausted from a weekend of what would have been an easy series of event in my pre-illness days, and know that I’m going to have costs that I’ll have to pay later this week…I am also sitting here with a full heart and complete awe that I’ve gotten to participate in 10 amazing years of the life of a very special boy.  I am amazed that we are surrounded by loving and wonderful people in our life and for at least today, we get to laugh and dance.

Dear Lord, thank you for the events in our life that we get to celebrate. Thank you for the people in our lives who are precious to us. Thank you for the days we get to experience.  Amen.

No comments: