Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where do we turn?

"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where will my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."  Psalm 121:1-2

When I first became ill three years ago, I began a practice of limiting how much news and media I listened to each day. I found that the overabundance of news that I could access would often overwhelm and exhaust me. Even today, I am careful to be selective about how much I follow the events in the world. I think it is important for those fighting long-term illness to determine for themselves how much they will focus on local and world issues.  I am not saying we should isolate ourselves, but rather, that with everything else, we may have different limits on what we can cope with than people without chronic illness.  We already often have things we are experiencing that are extremely time and energy consuming. In order to be helpful to ourselves and to others we need to be aware of this.
Having said this, I also have found that it is extremely important for me to have things outside of myself that require my attention.  When I'm feeling lousy, it is very easy for me to turn in on myself. So finding that balance is important for me.  This blog itself is an attempt to reach out to others, and to get "over myself" as a good friend of mine says.

As I write the blog this morning, my heart is deeply touched by the events in Japan, and I am compelled to shift focus a bit today.  As news trickles out of Japan regarding the earthquake, tsunami and now the nuclear reactor problems, I want to encourage us all to take some time today and keep the victims, the rescue workers and all of the people of Japan in our thoughts and prayers.

My background is as a Lutheran Christian, but I expect and hope that there are people of other faiths who read this blog, and people who express their understanding of the Divine in many ways.  However you express and communicate your faith, be it in prayer, in song, in lighting a candle, or a moment of silence,  I would ask you to remember the people of Japan today. 

Holy One, we lift our eyes to you today. As we face our own daily challenges, we also turn our hearts and our thoughts to those facing very difficult and life-threatening experiences in Japan. Be with,  comfort, strengthen and help the victims, workers, family and relatives and all the people affected in anyway by the disaster and aftermath. Help us to help others in whatever ways we are able, so we may be your hands and feet of compassion in this world.  Amen.

No comments: