Chronic Hope


Why "chronic hope" ? The Free Merriam-Webster dictionary defines chronic as " marked by long duration or frequent recurrence". I named this blog Chronic Hope as it is my intention that this will be a place where hope, encouragement, compassion and understanding will be the heart of this site.

This is a place for people in all parts of the journey of life.

Welcome
~Andrea

Friday, March 25, 2011

Even though I walk...


The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want;
 he makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters;
 he restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil;
for thou art with me;
thy rod and thy staff,
they comfort me.
 Thou preparest a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
thou anointest my head with oil,
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life;
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for ever.

Psalm 23- Revised Standard Version


   1 -3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
   You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
      you find me quiet pools to drink from.
   True to your word,
      you let me catch my breath
      and send me in the right direction.

   4 Even when the way goes through
      Death Valley,
   I'm not afraid
      when you walk at my side.
   Your trusty shepherd's crook
      makes me feel secure.

   5 You serve me a six-course dinner
      right in front of my enemies.
   You revive my drooping head;
      my cup brims with blessing.

   6 Your beauty and love chase after me
      every day of my life.
   I'm back home in the house of God
      for the rest of my life.

Psalm 23-  The Message


Today I posted one of the most well-known and beloved Psalms in two different translations.  I’m not asking you to compare them, or critique them, or even asking which is your favorite.  I posted two because one is my favorite, and the other has also spoken to me in very dear ways, and I thought these might be helpful for someone here.

As you read these passages, what speaks to you loudly today?  What brings you comfort today? 

What did you need to hear from God on this day that you hear in the Psalm? 

Long-term illness is a time when we need to and get to hear things differently.  The world around us may be the same, but our perspective has changed.

Fortunately, although  our perspective has changed, God is not fickle, and God’s message of love, comfort, support and eternal life has not changed. 

I hope today that whether you are beside still waters, or in the valley of the shadow of death, you may know that you are not alone…God walks by your side…today and every day.

Shepherding God, you know us by name and value us as your own. Today speak to our hearts so we may hear you, and give us your comfort and strength.  Amen.






No comments: